Mrs. Hudson’s Problem
- Created on Saturday, 09 April 2011 19:12
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 November 2012 18:00
- Written by Vitaly Novikov
Mr. Wan Tao, what should I discard?
After Mrs. Hudson was told that "Chi"+"Hua"+"Hua" was not a breed of dog, Wan Tao offered to Mrs. Hudson to play mahjong."Me? No way, I don’t know anything!"
"Thought I might be your personal game consultant. Would you mind, gentlemen?"
"Not at all! It’s very good idea, we like this game and definitely need fourth player due to you cannot always come to play."
So, wall is built, game started. It is difficult for Mrs. Hudson to make decisions: what to discard, how to meld. And the game came to it’s crucial point. Mrs. Hudson has no melds in hand and asks Mr. Tao (that paragraph was edited lately to avoid ambiguity):
“Mr. Wan Tao, what should I discard? I think that there are NO “spare” tiles in hand.”
“I see. There are no spare tiles to throw because you have mahjong in hand!” – answered Wan Tao.
“So, what should I do? I can’t simply win. Let’s see is there any tile to throw not to somebody’s mahjong – so that others would be not against it.”
“Gentlemen”, said wan Tao. “Let me as a very exception look at your hands to choose discard for Mrs. Hudson?”
Wan Tao took a look at all three hands and sentenced:
“Mrs. Hudson, no way, you can choose safe discard. Any tile you might throw would give mahjong to any gentlemen’s hand. So, please, declare mahjong by yourself!”
- Question (for beginners): Please, reconstruct all four hands (there are plenty of solutions, provide at least one). Please, note that Mrs. Hudson's hand is fully concealed one. And she placed a tile in hand so no point for the “wait”.
- Question (for limit-makers): Please, reconstruct all four hands (Mrs. Hudson's hand is fully concealed one -- Author) so that the sum of all four mahjong would score 400+ pts.
- Question (for experts): Please, reconstruct all four hands (Mrs. Hudson's hand is fully concealed one -- Author) so that the sum of all four mahjong would score exactly 32 pts. That is very difficult to do! As bonus feature try to provide solution of Mrs. Hudson’s hand with as few different tiles as possible (there exists solution for 8 different tiles).