Riichi event in the UK
- Published on Tuesday, 19 May 2009 01:00
- Written by Staff
The first English international mahjong tournament ever held, will be a stylish event. Organised by Peter Langford and Ian Fraser, it is being staged at the prestigious Guildford Golf Club, which is around 50k South West of London. The organisers participated in the European Riichi Mahjong Championship in Hanover, 2008, and are real riichi mahjong ambassadors. They have taught several groups of people how to play riichi, and they plan to organise a formal UK Open Riichi Championship next year.
This is their first exercise - the ‘UK Invitational’ in the delightful setting of their the Guildford GC clubhouse. For most of the participants, this will be their first real mahjong tournament. The tournament is small-scaled, with around 24 players participating.
- The tournament takes place on Saturday, August 22nd, at Guildford, UK (some 50 kilometers from London).
- Where: Guildford Golf Club , High Path Road, Guildford GU1 2HL
- Program: start of the tournament 09.00 a.m., 06.00 p.m. guaranteed finish
- Cost: £16 (some €22) which includes lunch (cold buffet style, with a hot option) tea/coffee throughout the proceedings, and prizes.
- Format: 2x a.m. and 2x p.m. sessions with breaks between each, and an extended break for lunch.
Related article: No Mahjong Please, We Are British
This event is sponsored by
Modern Japanese cuisine
Trinity Gate, Epsom Road, Guildford GU1 3JQ
tel.: 01483 511544